Bathing a baby, especially a newborn, can be a thrilling activity for new parents. It is important to prepare yourself and know how to bathe the baby so that you and the baby stay comfortable during the process of her .
If you want to bathe the baby, avoid bathing the baby after he or she is feeding or eating. It’s better to wait a while until your stomach adjusts to the intake that just entered. The step guide for bathing the baby below is expected to help you.
Prepare all baby toiletries before starting. The following are essential equipment needed.
- Flat and safe surfaces such as beds or tables for changing baby clothes.
- Towels and dressing pads.
- Dipper to drain water.
- Water to bathe the baby. Make sure that the water is not too hot.
- Washcloth to wipe the baby’s body.
- The use of soap is not recommended when bathing a baby. If needed, use a baby skin cleansing product with a soap-free label and written in lightweight materials instead of ordinary soap to avoid dry skin. Also avoid products with fragrances and antibiotics because they can irritate the skin.
- Replacement clothes and diapers .
Make sure the baby is bathed in a warm room. Prepare all toiletries in a place that is easily reached by the hands around the baby bathtub.
Stages Guide Bathing Babies
The following are steps in how to bathe a baby in general:
- Fill the tub with warm water about 7 cm high, with a temperature of around 32 degrees Celsius.
- Lay the baby on a change pad or towel, open the baby’s clothes slowly.
- Use one hand and arm to support the baby’s head and body. Then the other hand to support the lower body and place it in the water, starting with the feet.
- Start by cleaning the eyelids, inside out, with cotton or soft cotton cloth dipped in warm water. Use a different cloth for the other eye. Continue to clean your nose, ears and face.
- Make sure that one hand is supporting the baby’s back and head when your other hand is cleaning other parts of the body. Keep the baby’s head position above the water level.
- If using soap, just pour a little so the baby’s skin does not dry out.
- Give more attention to the armpit, back of the ear, neck and genital area.
- Flush the baby’s head and entire body with a dipper, then wipe it with a clean washcloth.
- Lift the baby slowly. Immediately place the baby on a dressing mat or need a towel that has been covered. Dry each part of the body slowly.
- This is a good time to massage the baby while singing a song or invite him to talk to make the baby more relaxed.
Need lotion and oil after bathing? It is recommended to avoid using oil or moisturizer until the baby is at least one month old .
In addition, clean water without any mixture is the best for bathing your baby. So, avoid adding anything to the bath liquid. No less important, avoid leaving the baby alone even though for a moment when bathed or changing clothes.